“Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls” ? I think Serge has been on the funny fags, but he must be getting hold of the good stuff because these are some of the best lyrics he’s ever written, and the song itself? well, Underdog is arguably their strongest single to date, gloriously boasting the kind of attitude and swagger not heard since Club Foot.
It sounds like it should be used in a Tarantino film, and it’s already soundtracked a football game. What’s so great about it then? Predominantly the psychedelic tinged riff and pulsating beat that makes avoiding foot tapping almost impossible. All the right ingredients are here for a near perfect song, and the melody, which is as catchy as the common cold, is the icing on the cake.
This track sounds like the result of a band who are finally fulfilling their own potential and playing on all of their strengths. Most of the band’s that emerged around the same time as them in 2004 never managed to recreate the success and impact of their debut material, whereas Kasabian have proved their worth and staying power. The new Oasis they are not, but a damn good band they are.
- Pink Floyd's 'The Endless River' to become Amazon's most pre-ordered album
- Noel Gallagher premieres official 'In The Heat Of The Moment' video
- Review: The Twilight Sad - 'Nobody Wants To Be Here and Nobody Wants To Leave'
- Carl Barat, Dry The River lead first names confirmed for SXSW 2015
- Ben Howard leading new entries on UK Album Chart