Artists, historians, music industry insiders and fan votes will all now be used to ultimately decide the five inductees for next year, with The Replacements, Peter Gabriel, N.W.A., Chic, Cat Stevens, KISS, Hall and Oates, The Zombies, The Meters, Linda Ronstadt, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band and tremelo pioneer Link Wray also in with a chance of inclusion.
Fans can play their part by voting over at RollingStone.com until December 10th, before the 2014 Hall Of Fame ceremony is held next April.
Acts who released their first official recording at least 25 years ago become eligible for the honour. Deep Purple and Chic were also close to being named on the list for 2013, but were pipped by Rush, Public Enemy and the late Donna Summer among others.
- The Cribs lead host of new entries on UK Record Store Chart
- Noel Gallagher closes this year's Teenage Cancer Trust concerts
- Live4ever's New Tunes Guide: Battle Lines, Life In Film and more
- Circa Waves, Lapsley on Liverpool's GIT Awards 2015 shortlist
- The National, Menomena members form new supergroup Pfarmers