A copy of David Bowie‘s handwritten lyrics for ‘The Jean Genie‘ is expected to fetch between £12,000-£15,000 when it is put up for auction in July.
The lyrics are just one of a number of special Bowie items which are to be held for sale on July 3rd at the Bonhams Entertainment Memorabilia auction. They were given to the founder of the New York branch of Bowie’s fanclub, and are signed and dated 1972 – the year ‘The Jean Genie’ peaked at #2 on the UK Singles Chart.
A 1969 contract offering a payment of £12 for Bowie and his guitarist John Hutchinson to perform live at the Ealing College of Communication for a fee of £12 is another of the items being auctioned, and is estimated to command a price of £1,200-£1,800.
Also up for grabs is a cardinal red Vox electric guitar used by Bowie during his legendary Ziggy Stardust period, while other items set to go under the auctioneers hammer which are not associated with Bowie include Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page’s ‘Birthday Special 2007’ acoustic guitar, worth around £10,000-15,000.
- Mark E Smith: 'I forced myself to watch five minutes of Metallica without vomiting'
- Skinny Lister sign to Xtra Mile Recordings, announce October tour
- Zola Jesus unveils ‘Go (Blank Sea)’ from new album
- Win Butler: 'Arcade Fire are in their prime'
- Wild Beasts announce 'Present Tense' special edition, one-off Leeds gig