Sigur Ros have confirmed Kjartan Sveinsson, their keyboard player for 15 years, has left the group.
The Icelandic band broke the news during a chat on Reddit, revealing Sveinsson simply wanted to pursue new avenues in life after his long association with Sigur Ros.
“Yes he has left the band,” they said. “He said he spent half his life in the band and it was time to do something different. He wanted to leave for some time. We have added some extra hands but thats also because we use a lot of instruments on the albums and we can’t play them all at the same time live. We want the live experience to be as good as possible.”
The group later spoke of how they are using any downtime during their current tour commitments to chisel away at a follow-up to the brilliant, typically cinematic 2012 LP ‘Valtari‘
- Ride's Mark Gardener and Andy Bell sign up for intimate War Child gig
- The Wombats return with new album, European tour
- The Jesus & Mary Chain take 'Pyschocandy' celebrations to Bilbao BBK Live
- Florence & The Machine, Alt-J confirm for next year's Flow Festival
- Brandon Flowers aiming for 'change' on second solo album