Frightened Rabbit are operating in the same universe as Mumford & Sons? No, us neither, but Spin seem to think so, and have thus provoked a few headline-grabbing quotes from band member Scott Hutchinson.
“Melodically, there are things we have in common with those bands, but I’m not sure we have embraced the entire aesthetic of Mumford and Sons,” Hutchinson began in an attempt at diplomacy.
However, when further pressed on the apparent comparisons being made between the two bands, Hutchinson accused Mumford & Sons of ‘shovelling the same old shit’ with their second album ‘Babel‘ which, shall we say, stuck close to the commercially appealing formula of its immediate predecessor ‘Sigh No More‘.
“I was trying to be very diplomatic but I fucking hate that band and don’t want to be associated with them,” he continued. “I thought the first record did something that I appreciated, but with the second they were just shoveling the same shit. And that’s one of the reasons we’re trying to separate ourselves, because it’s a huge insult to someone who’s invested in the band to give them more of the same.”
Frightened Rabbit will be hoping to prove they are anything but shit shovellers when the new album ‘Pedestrian Verse‘ is released next month.
- Mark E Smith: 'I forced myself to watch five minutes of Metallica without vomiting'
- Skinny Lister sign to Xtra Mile Recordings, announce October tour
- Zola Jesus unveils ‘Go (Blank Sea)’ from new album
- Win Butler: 'Arcade Fire are in their prime'
- Wild Beasts announce 'Present Tense' special edition, one-off Leeds gig