The show will be held at the New Wimbledon Theatre on May 9th, with support coming from Matthew & The Atlas.
“When a team that lies particularly close to the hearts of two members of the band – AFC Wimbledon – approached them to enquire if they’d play a show to raise funds for the club (which is on the verge of a return to the football league) they were only too happy to oblige,” the group said in a statement today.
When the original Wimbledon FC moved to Milton Keynes in 2002 after years of financial problems, dis-enchanted fans formed AFC Wimbledon in protest.
The new club entered the Isthmian League First Division and has since risen through the English domestic ladder and is now due to enter into the Blue Square Premier’s end of season play-offs in a bid to re-enter the Football League.
In the meantime the Milton Keynes-based Wimbledon changed its name to MK Dons and currently plays its football in the third tier of English football.
- 'George Harrison: The Apple Years' compilation to be released this month
- HMV chairman predicts resurgence will see it 'soon overtake Amazon'
- Elbow to play three nights in Manchester, London next February
- Julian Casablancas shares 11-minute solo track 'Human Sadness'
- Robert Plant streams new album in full